Mouth cancer can affect 650, 000 people worldwide according to the Mouth Cancer Foundation and according to Eva Grazel, a survivor of oral cancer and motivational speaker, oral cancer kills one American every hour of every day.
Marg happened to run into @evagrayzel after a conference in AZ a few years back and she would tell you that she felt like she met a celebrity. Eva is full of life!
Be aware of these potential early warning signs:
- A sore on the lip or in the mouth that doesn’t heal.
- Pain in the mouth that doesn’t go away.
- A lump or thickening in the lips, mouth, or cheek.
- A white or red patch on the gums, tongue, tonsil, or lining of the mouth.
- A sore throat or a feeling that something is caught in your throat that doesn’t go away
- Trouble chewing or swallowing.
- Trouble moving the jaw or tongue.
- Numbness of the tongue, lip, or other area of the mouth
- Swelling or pain in the jaw
- Dentures that start to fit poorly or become uncomfortable.
- Loosening of the teeth or pain around the teeth
- Voice changes
- A lump or mass in the neck or back of the throat
- Weight loss
- Pain in the ear
Many of these signs and symptoms can also be caused by diseases other than cancer, or even by other cancers. Still, it’s very important to see a doctor or dentist if any of these conditions last more than 2 weeks so that the cause can be found and treated, if needed.